23 Of The Best Logo Redesigns In 2010 43

Tuesday, 3rd August, 2010 by Hilde Torbjornsen in Inspiration.

Getting a logo redesigned is sometimes needed to keep up with trends and to stand out in the market. This time we’ve taken a look at some of the redesigns that have been done in the first half of 2010.

Some of these are minor, others are completely changing the entire feeling of the logos. We believe all of these are improvements, while knowing it’s often a case of personal taste. We’ll leave it up to you to make your own decisions.

The “before” logos are at the left and the new to the right.

Ubuntu

Egypt

Cousins subs

University of the New Sorbonne Paris3

Seattle’s best coffee

Skittles

best logo redesigns in 2010

Those were some of our picks for the year so far. What do you think?

We would love to hear your feedback on these!

Thank you for reading, and remember to share the article if you’ve enjoyed it.

Comments

1. CSSReX says:

Nice man, I like some :)

Aug, 03, 2010 at 06:34 pm

1. Kristine Putt says:

With the exception of Seattle's Best, I believe most of these redesigns are tremendous improvements (the new Seattle's Best to me seems "generic"- think Target, discount, mediocre). Some really nice work here! Good examples of simple, clean and uncluttered design.

Aug, 07, 2010 at 01:33 pm

1. Twitted by zokopoko says:

[...] This post was Twitted by zokopoko [...]

Aug, 07, 2010 at 02:04 pm

1. 23 Of The Best Logo Redesigns In 2010 | Design Newz says:

[...] 23 Of The Best Logo Redesigns In 2010 [...]

Aug, 07, 2010 at 10:01 pm

1. LukeSF says:

Nice to see new redesigns... Great collection... IMHO Missile Defense did the worst work...

Aug, 07, 2010 at 10:14 pm

1. Keiran says:

The YMCA update is horrible.

Aug, 07, 2010 at 10:18 pm

1. Kyle says:

Love the Skittles one, taste the rainbow!

Aug, 07, 2010 at 10:23 pm

1. cory says:

i agree with Putt

Aug, 07, 2010 at 10:49 pm

1. Franco says:

Nice collection, good to see whats going on with branding on the big brands. Thanks!

Aug, 07, 2010 at 11:04 pm

1. Aldrich says:

Agreed with Kristine... Most of them are huge improvements... I was shocked to see Seattle's Best redesigned that way... reminds me of a Gasoline station..

Aug, 07, 2010 at 11:05 pm

1. Nick Daniel says:

Ubuntu & YMCA and Caribou Coffee my fav

Aug, 08, 2010 at 01:35 am

1. Glenn says:

They are great improvements most people would not believe how much work can go into these, not an easy task. Yeah sorry Seattle's best a bit average but still better than the original & better than my efforts...

Aug, 08, 2010 at 03:12 am

1. usr128 says:

it's new logo almost has modern design. i love them !

Aug, 08, 2010 at 04:00 am

1. Antonio says:

Love the subtle change of MTV. Water for People = AWESOME. Not so sure about SUNY. I like traditional logos when it comes to academia. It's definitely a modern look though. Awesome post - thanks for sharing!

Aug, 08, 2010 at 05:38 am

1. Logo Redesign « Visuelle Inspiration says:

[...] “23 Of The Best Logo Redesigns In 2010” behauptet frelancelogo vollmundig. Ob das jetzt wirklich alle die “Best” sind, wage ich zu bezweifeln. Einen inspirierenden Blick auf Redesign ist die Kollektion aber allemal wert. [...]

Aug, 08, 2010 at 05:46 am

1. Daniel Leal Freitas says:

Have notice that everyone off those choose a more simple logo.

Aug, 08, 2010 at 07:51 am

1. Till says:

Hm, I like the old Hong Kong better. This city does not need a motto. And the dragon is marvelous.

Aug, 08, 2010 at 10:03 am

1. Aadil Aijaz says:

Very nice logos! I love the YMCA and Technicolor logos.

Aug, 08, 2010 at 12:13 pm

1. Maxime from web agency Wype says:

The logo redesign of the University of the New Sorbonne (Paris 3) is really a good one, the old logo was really out of step with the image the university wants to show.

Aug, 08, 2010 at 12:31 pm

1. Jason Konopinski says:

I personally think the YMCA logo missed the mark, though it is an improvement. Seattle's Best is perfect - the clean, minimalist design really resonates with me.

Aug, 08, 2010 at 01:07 pm

1. Rita says:

YMCA logo is awful, it looks dated rather then progressive. @shuzz

Aug, 08, 2010 at 01:43 pm

1. Dean Martin says:

Great redesigns, SurveyMonkey I really liked.

Aug, 08, 2010 at 02:08 pm

1. Scarlett says:

Personally, I prefer the old Hong Kong logo, but absolutely love the the new Skittles and Egypt logos. Thanks for the share!

Aug, 08, 2010 at 02:28 pm

1. Emily says:

Love the round one for The state university of New York. It has quite a retro look to it almost. I hadn't realised argos had changed their logo though as it's quite similar within their brand style.

Aug, 09, 2010 at 10:12 am

1. Justin says:

Missile defense is a great improvement. Too bad they couldn't stay away from the Obama lo0k. They really should consider staying politically neutral. Great visual, poor concept. With so many options out there, there is no need to ride on the anointed one's design coattails. Disappointing.

Aug, 09, 2010 at 07:57 pm

1. Lets says:

MTV should probably change their name. "Music Television" makes no sense nowadays, since music is one of the last things MTV talks about.

Aug, 09, 2010 at 10:01 pm

1. Susan says:

Agree with Kristine. The Seattle's Best Coffee logo is simple and modern, but the old logo looks traditional and gives a better quality feel.

Aug, 10, 2010 at 07:55 am

1. Maggie says:

All very spiff, with the exception of the Seattle's Best Coffee redesign. The copperplate and burnished look to the highlights of the previous version lent a sense of tradition and heft to the brand. The new version... reminds me of the old Weingarten's "red dot" generic/sale items...

Aug, 10, 2010 at 12:20 pm

1. machbio says:

great list.. do u know of any marketplace for logo's where i can buy them from

Aug, 10, 2010 at 01:43 pm

1. Marvelous Logo Redesigns and Inspiration | Design Reviver says:

[...] 23 Of The Best Logo Redesigns In 2010 [...]

Aug, 10, 2010 at 03:28 pm

1. Tim says:

A great place to keep up with branding/logo redesigns is Brand New (http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/). All or most of the logos above have been covered and there's insightful commentary with each post.

Aug, 10, 2010 at 04:54 pm

1. ryanfmc says:

I love the Settles Best logo from a design aspect, although I do feel that it may of missed the mark from a consumer point of view. I also really like the Water for People and Technicolor logos. Yet the YMCA logo isn't a step back but it most certainly isn't a step forward.

Aug, 10, 2010 at 07:26 pm

1. joegeoghan says:

With the exception of Seattle's Best, TCBY, the Y and Yellow Pages' revamps, I think these are wonderful. Seattle's Best sheds a professional logo for a boring, store-brand generic one, TCBY sheds an iconic logo for a weirdly brand-conflicting "futurist" font, the Y followed senseless design trends instead of maintaining its timelessness, and the yellow pages added a pointless embevelling. Where did that even come from? Egypt wins the "Most Improved" award!

Aug, 10, 2010 at 10:17 pm

1. Alpesh Shah says:

Agree completely with Kristine, these are all small to huge improvements other than Seattle's Best. Looks so generic. The YMCA is also a big step in the wrong direction, looks dated.

Aug, 11, 2010 at 12:35 pm

1. jbudd75 says:

Completely disagree with the haters of Seattle's Best. I love the simplicity and where you all see generic discount, I'm seeing class. And it has to look awesome on a dark mug. Ah well.

Aug, 11, 2010 at 03:35 pm

1. Ruan says:

Love the Caribou Coffee, even subtle changes can make the difference between a good and bad logo. The idea behind Water for People and Lending Club is pure brilliance

Aug, 12, 2010 at 10:43 am

1. tigernik says:

As logo's go, some are great improvements; others are terrible... But, it all depends on what the brand's objective's were at the end of the day. e.g. If Seattles Best coffee was to move it away from looking like a beer label to creating a simple 'non-fuss' logo, then excellent.

Aug, 12, 2010 at 01:52 pm

1. Arkev says:

There is logos that they improved enough, but my favorite redesign is of ubuntu

Aug, 17, 2010 at 05:55 pm

1. Ricardo Graça says:

These are the ones I think changed for the worse: Yellow Pages (What?? Since when that needed a redesign??), YMCA (I wonder how much they paid for it...), Argos (well, it wasn't exactly brilliant before either), technicolor (WTF is that? The old logo was perfect!). These are the ones I think are equally bad before and after: Lending Club, NET (two of the most ugly logos I've seen), Egypt, Cousins Subs, Skittles. And finally the big improvements: Water for Family, SurveyMonkey.

Sep, 04, 2010 at 11:20 pm

1. cheap cheval mirror says:

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I really do not know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Fine blog. I help keep visiting that blog extremely often.

Sep, 19, 2010 at 12:48 pm

1. cna training says:

Thanks for keeping me up to date on this subject.

Sep, 24, 2010 at 01:07 am

1. applebees coupons for discounts says:

Starbucks is definitely a touch overhyped, but in my opinion they should get the praise. They provide a fabulous easy-going ambiance that is good for both being social and for doing some studying, they serve good coffee roasts every single day, and they provide several delicious desserts.

Oct, 19, 2010 at 05:36 pm

1. Patti says:

Love the cancer center redesign!

Jan, 14, 2011 at 06:16 pm